I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou


“Maya Angelou recounts the story of her life up to the birth of her child. Though she faces many hardships in her life, including being raped and living in a junkyard, she's able to find love and happiness as a mother.” (Goodreads.com)

It took me a long time to finish this book. I almost gave up on it, and I’m glad I didn’t. Angelou’s writing is beautiful. You can tell she loves the English language. This book jumps around to different moments in her life and I connected with some stories more than others. It wasn’t an easy read, for me, but it was worth it. I recommend this book if you enjoy personal narratives, African American History, classic literature.

Meghan McCabe
Children & Youth Services Librarian

Available at the Langley Adams Library

Comments