White Rose by Kip Wilson


“A gorgeous and timely novel based on the incredible story of Sophie Scholl, a young German college student who challenged the Nazi regime during World War II as part of The White Rose, a non-violent resistance group. Disillusioned by the propaganda of Nazi Germany, Sophie Scholl, her brother, and his fellow soldiers formed the White Rose, a group that wrote and distributed anonymous letters criticizing the Nazi regime and calling for action from their fellow German citizens. The following year, Sophie and her brother were arrested for treason and interrogated for information about their collaborators.” (Goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed this book. I haven’t read many books written in verse, and now I want more. Verse allowed me to encounter the text in two distinct ways. I could read it straight through, like with prose, and learn about the resistance group The “White Rose”. Or I could read it with breaks and pauses, like with verse, and get a deeper feeling for what Sophie was experiencing. I recommend this book if you like historical fiction, World War II, and pieces written in verse.

Meghan McCabe
Children & Youth Services Librarian

Available at the Langley Adams Library

Comments