Kiss Number 8 by Colleen A.F. Venable


"Amanda can’t figure out what’s so exciting about kissing. It’s just a lot of teeth clanking, germ swapping, closing of eyes so you can’t see that Godzilla-sized zit just inches from your own hormonal monstrosity. All of her seven kisses had been horrible in different ways, but nothing compared to the awfulness that followed Kiss Number Eight. An exploration of sexuality, family, and faith, Kiss Number Eight is a coming-of-age tale filled with humor and hope."(Goodreads.com)

Kiss Number 8 is about so much more than kissing. To me this graphic novel is about struggling with faith, holding on to friends who aren’t that great for you, and dealing with family issues. This graphic novel was not quite what I was expecting, and I really enjoyed it. It brought me back to when I was in school. It allowed me to revisit my younger self and see how my thoughts and opinions have changed. It’s ending is also very sweet. Who doesn’t love a happy ending?

I recommend this graphic novel if you enjoy evolving relationships between friends and family, LGBTQ topics, coming of age stories.

Meghan McCabe
Children & Youth Services Librarian

Available at the Langley Adams Library

Comments