My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy #1) by Gerald Durrell



“When the unconventional Durrell family can no longer endure the damp, gray English climate, they do what any sensible family would do: sell their house and relocate to the sunny Greek isle of Corfu. My Family and Other Animals was intended to embrace the natural history of the island but ended up as a delightful account of Durrell’s family’s experiences, from the many eccentric hangers-on to the ceaseless procession of puppies, toads, scorpions, geckoes, ladybugs, glowworms, octopuses, bats, and butterflies into their home.” (Goodreads.com)

I chose to read this book because of the PBS television show “The Durrells in Corfu.” I thoroughly enjoyed the show about the English family who decided to move to Greece. While I waited for the fourth season to come out I needed something to fill the void. I knew the show was based on a series so I started with the first book.

Now, I should warn you, if you are infatuated with the relationship between Louisa and Spiro  and hope that this book will go into more detail, turn back now. Nothing of their relationship is mentioned. Stick to the show for your romance needs. If you thoroughly enjoyed Gerry, then please continue.

The series is written by Gerald Durrell who is the youngest of the siblings. Being a naturalist the book is filled with animals, observations, and comical family dynamics. Gerald gives such life to his surroundings and personality to the animals he sees. It was a little difficult to get through. Each chapter was filled with so much information and detail that I had to take the book one chapter at a time. It is well worth the read. Don’t let the tiny text scare you away! I’m not sure if I will continue with the series, but I was happy with what I read.

I recommend this book if you like the study of natural history, memoirs, and the Durrell family.

Meghan McCabe
Children's and Youth Services Librarian

Available at the Langley Adams Library

Comments