Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel


“In this graphic memoir, Alison Bechdel charts her fraught relationship with her late father.”*

I received this graphic memoir in a book swap. The art was very intricate. It was interesting to see a personal story told in this fashion. Bechdel has a very vivid memory of her life growing up.
I wasn’t really into this memoir. Since it was so dense with text and information it took longer to read. There were a lot of words that most people, myself included, would have to pull out a dictionary often to understand. No room for “lazy” reading. It felt very academic to me. This closely mirrors Bechdel’s interactions with her father, so maybe it was written this way on purpose. Overall, it wasn’t my cup of tea.

I recommend you read this if you like coming of age LGBTQ+ characters, graphic memoirs, and stories of family dynamics.
Meghan McCabe
Youth Service Librarian

Available through the MVLC Catalog
*Goodreads.com

Comments